Spicy Kadai Tofu

Whenever P finds out that we are having Tofu-something for dinner, his work day gets extended miraculously, from 7 pm to 9pm, and he is invariably half full by the time he comes home , on some random snack picked up on the way. :-w


But a couple of evenings back, I decided to do a little number on him, when I told him that I am making kadhai paneer for dinner. And what d' you know, P is home at 7:00 sharp, full appetite in tow. I barely get time to take a few hurried pictures, when we begin to eat. Midway through the meal, I tell him that he is eating tofu but by now he is too involved with the dinner to care !:D/

Finally,after we finish dinner, his verdict was : If this is so good with tofu, I can only imagine how awesome it will taste with paneer !

This has therefore become my goto recipe for any dish with the kadhai pre-fix. Kadhai-mushroom, K-gobhi, K- aloo..

My base recipe was Sanjeev Kapoor's kadhai paneer recipe, and the only change I have made is to cut down the quantity of oil mentioned, in addition to substituting pan fried tofu for paneer.

Firm Tofu 300 gms
2 medium sized Tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 capsicum (chopped into large chunks)
1 medium sized Onion-sliced
1 tsp each Ginger & garlic paste
2 Dried Red chillies
1 tbsp Coriander seeds -crushed
1 tsp each Coriander and red chilli powder
2 Cloves , one inch stick of Cinnamon and one bay leaf
Salt to taste
1.5 tbsp oil

1. Spray some oil in a wok and lightly fry the tofu, till it turns brown at the edges. Keep aside and heat the oil in the same wok. Add bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon, red chillies broken into two and f the crushed coriander seeds. Sauté for half a minute.
2. Add onion and stir-fry for thirty seconds and add ginger paste and garlic paste. Cook for another thirty seconds.
3. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and tomatoes. Cook on high heat till tomatoes start to break down a bit. Add tofu, capsicum and salt. Add half a cup of water. Cook covered on low heat for five minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if you have any, I did not.


Update: Capsicum/Green Bell pepper, which is tofu's co-star in this recipe may qualify this for pooja's VOW-Bell Pepper. Will try my luck and send it across to her:)

27 comments:

  1. Hi hi i know how P feels.
    I too don't like tofu, but this looks so delicious, that by loojing to it my mouth is watttering

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...
    This is a YUMMY! and healthy recipe. Looks so good. Loved the deep red color of the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. heyyy .. din mein do post... kya baat hai ... cool ... will pukka mail u tomorrow.. i completely forgot... waise my mail id is raman.swati at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious rendition...Mine acts like this when he learns that the meal is veg that specific day....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah..looks so very tempting...I don't like tofu..so I can always replace...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i need to try this recipe on me....:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this recipe looks..good,..thnks for sharing,..

    ReplyDelete
  8. happycook
    Thank you for the compliment:)

    sukanya
    I picked the ripest tomatoes from my fridge for this and the generous amount of chilli powder helped;)

    swati

    my hard working-marathon running pals are inspiring me:) will mail u soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rachel
    Welcome to my blog !
    Men can be like overgrown kids sometimes, isn't it?

    srivalli
    Thanks !You can always replace it back with paneer, which is what the original recipe was for.

    bhags
    Thanks pal ! Looking forward to your verdict!

    NYH
    Thank you.. Have a nice day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont like tofu as well, but I keep on telling me its healthy and one day I'd grow into it. Maybe your recipe will do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a cute story...! my kids run the other way too when I try to serve them something healthy...but I sneak it on them too.....

    This looks delicious.

    trupti
    the spice who loved me

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've made the exact same recipe by Sanjeev Kapoor but with paneer and we love it at home. Thanks for letting me know that Tofu gives fab results too.. It looks awesome! :)
    I liked P's statement abt how much better it will taste with paneer - he's still trying, isn't he ? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. trupti
    Thanks..great to see you again:)

    laavanya
    yep, ol' P does not give in easily, but then neither does his devious wife;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is indeed a tasty dish , no wonder P liked it a lot :).
    thank you for you entry :) .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pooja
    Thank you for coming over and the nice comment.Have a great day !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi the tofu looks really spicy n mouth watering....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anisheetu,
    Than you and welcome to delhibelle.I really like your name, it's so unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  18. MY favorite! kadai tofu, kadai paneer! but Tofu sounds much better health wise! Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha..I was just going thru some of your older posts and I found this. Gawd, this is the story of my life a few years ago. Now the hubby is serious about his gym and work outs and tofu is specifically requested. Thank goodness. Tandoori tofu as in tofu tikka turns out well too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. so when do you add the bell peppers in this recipe?u forgot to mention that..:)

    G.S

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi G.S
    Thank you for pointing that out..I have rectified it now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. i am trying to buy tofu in delhi & noida. but it is not available. can u let me know of any brand or where i can buy it

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes even I would like to know where can I get Tofu in or around Noida.

    Thanks,

    Prashant

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes,where can we buy tofu in New Delhi, any brand ?

    ReplyDelete
  25. for unlimited supply of tofu kindly contact

    vipin singh:08899642333
    tarun kaul:09582234425
    anil saini:09311211723

    ReplyDelete
  26. its available with us in plenty and good in taste also.............many are getting the benefit in delhi.............contact us if u want it,.....we are waiting for your calls

    ReplyDelete